The tent is a necessity when you’re heading outdoors. For any camping, a tent is a necessity. However, you have to ensure that you are packing it the right way to carry it. You cannot pack the tent in your backpack in any way. There is a specific procedure to pack the tent in a backpack.
I will highlight a step-by-step way below in which you can pack the tent in a backpack. Once you follow this procedure, carrying the tent in your backpack is easy.
How to pack and carry the tent in a backpack?
I will highlight the step-by-step procedure to pack a tent in a backpack below.
1. The first thing which you need to pack are the tent poles. For the same, you have to use the tent pole bags which came along with the tent. You have to put the poles in the same bag.
2. After putting the poles into the bag, now is the time to flatten the tent on the ground. You have to ensure that the tent is damp. When you flatten it, you have to put the pole bag on one edge of the flat tent.
3. after that, using the poles at the core, you have to roll the tent. You have to ensure that the diameter of the roll is as tiny as possible. While rolling, you have to ensure that the roll is in perfect alignment. In case it gets misaligned, you have to open the roll again and roll it again.
4. You have to put the roll in 2 another bag. You have to close it as tightly as possible. It will ensure that the roll does not open up.
5. Before you put the tent bag into the backpack, you have to put the heavier gear at the bottom of your backpack. Only after that can you put the tent roll bag. When you do so, it will become easier for you to carry the backpack. You won’t experience back pain either. Not only that, the structure of the backpack will be proper even if it does not come with the frame. Carrying the backpack is easy because of the same.
6. If you want to add more cushioning to the tent roll bag, it is a good idea to put a sleeping bag beneath the tent.
7. When you’re placing the tent roll bag into the backpack, you have to make sure you are putting it in one corner. It should remain upright. Consequently, it will be easier for you to carry the tent.
An alternate way to pack a tent in a backpack:
Many backpacks come along with straps and other fixtures to pack a tent. In that case, you have to attach the tent at the bottom of the backpack. I will share with you a few steps to do the same.
1. Firstly, you have to roll the tent using the same method as above. After that, you have to put it in a bag, preferably a drawstring bag. Once you use the drawstring bag, then only you can attach it to the backpack.
2. You have to put it in between the straps at the bottom of the backpack. After that, tighten the straps. Once you tighten the straps, the tent roll bag spiral will remain in place.
The advantage of this method to pack a tent is that it will not occupy the space inside the backpack. This is a much more efficient packing mechanism.
However, a few tips you have to keep in mind when you’re packing a tent in a backpack. I will highlight these below.
Tips that you should follow while packing a tent in a backpack:
The tips which you should follow include:
1. Use a sturdy bag:
When you’re rolling that tent into a bag, it is a good idea to use a sturdy bag. The bg should preferably have a closing mechanism or a drawstring to fasten it. When that happens, the spiral roll, including the poles at the core, will remain within the bag. They will not come out. Doing so will keep the tent inside.
2. Put the poles in the tent carefully:
When placing the poles at the core of the tent, it is essential to put them in a bag or a fabric layer. You have to ensure that you provide an insulating layer between the poles and the rest of the tent.
It might so happen that the poles might have sharper ends. If these directly come in contact with the tent’s fabric, the tent might get torn during the journey. That is why it is a good idea to put the poles into the bag and use it as the core of the tent.
3. Use a weatherproof back:
Whether you are putting the entire roll and the tent assembly inside the backpack or attaching it at the bottom, it is a good idea to use a weatherproof bag.
It means that first, you have to put the poles into the bag and use it as the core of the tent roll. Once you roll the entire tent, you have to put the assembly in a waterproof bag.
You can put this waterproof bag inside the backpack or attach it to the bottom of the backpack.
The aim, however, is to use an entirely weatherproof bag.
Once you use these 3 tips, it will become easier for you to pack a tent in a backpack. After that, you will not have to worry about the tent getting affected by the weather.
So, if you think it is tough to pack a tent, you can use any of the two methods I have highlighted above. With these 2 methods, it will undoubtedly become easier for you to take the tent with you.
Now that you are aware of how to pack a tent, I will share some of my posts on tents like a Qube tent, pod tents, and motorcycle tent. You can read my post here, here, and here to know more about the tents.