When you’re camping outdoors, it is necessary to waterproof your tent. In fact, your tent should be able to handle any kind of weather as well.
The question is, how to waterproof tent cheap?
I will today share with you 2 different methods in which you can do so. Once you adopt any one of these 2 methods, it will become effortless and easy for you to waterproof your tent.
How to waterproof a tent cheap?
There are 2 ways to waterproof a tent which are using a spray and using a trap.
Both of these ways are highly affordable. I will go into the details of both these methods below.
1. Method to waterproof using spray:
Waterproof ink spray plays are available in plenty. Once you procure such a spray, you have to follow the procedure, which I will highlight below.
• The 1st thing is to set up your tent and clean it. Only when it is clean will it become easier for you to waterproof the tent. To clean it, you have to use warm water and mild detergent.
• After your tent dries, it is a good idea to apply the waterproof spray. You can either apply directly or using a sponge. The application method depends on the instructions of the waterproofing spray, which you can opt for.
• Once you apply it, you have to let it dry.
• After that, you have to seal the seams. To do so, you have to take the waterproofing tent spray on a rag and apply it to the seams. Once again, you have to let it dry as well.
Only once it dries down can you pack it and start using it.
I will now share with you another way in which you can waterproof the tent cheap.
2. Method to waterproof using a tarp:
Another method which you can use to waterproof the tent is to use a tarp.
In this case, you can put the tarp whenever you want to waterproof the tent and remove it whenever there is no rain. It is one of the easiest ways to waterproof your tent.
There are, however, a few tips which you have to keep in mind before using a tarp. These include:
• You have to look at the waterproof rating of the tarp. Only when it has a high waterproof rating should you buy that for waterproofing.
• You have to ensure that the dimensions of the tarp are much larger than the tent. Only, in that case, it will cover the entire tent.
• You have to also arrange for some fastening mechanism for the tarp. Either you should use the stakes, or you should use the straps too fast and them. Once you do so, the tarp will remain in place even in the rain. After that, waterproofing the tent will become easy for you.
These are the tips that you should follow while using a tarp to waterproof the tent.
Most of the tarps are foldable and quite compact. That is why; it becomes easier to carry the tarp with you to the camping site.
As you can see, this is one of the easiest ways to waterproof tent cheap.
Many people think that waterproofing is not a necessity unless and until it rains. However, it is not so.
I will share with you a handful of reasons why you should waterproof the tent.
Why should you a waterproof tent?
There are essentially 6 reasons why you should waterproof your tent. I will highlight all 6 below.
1. To prevent percolation of water:
The most obvious reason of course, is that it prevents the percolation of water. Even if your tent states that it is waterproof, additional protection against water is always a good idea. It will ensure that you can go camping in the monsoon season without any worry.
It is one of the primary reasons why you should waterproof tent.
2. To avoid UV damage:
Irrespective of the season in which your camping, the frame of the tent, and the tent’s outer surface will always experience UV damage. That is because the tent is always out there in the sun.
The UV damage will lead to discoloration. Not only that, UV damage will weaken the tent as well.
However, when you use any waterproofing method, you can avoid UV damage. Consequently, using the tent for a longer time is certainly possible.
3. To increase the lifespan of tent:
In relation to the above point, the life span of the tent also increases once you waterproof it.
Also, you can easily convert 2 season tent into a 3 season tent with the help of waterproofing.
The extended life span of the tent is one of the main reasons why you should waterproof it.
4. To maintain the temperature inside:
Waterproofing also helps you in maintaining the temperature inside the tent in a much better way. Irrespective of the waterproofing method you use, temperature maintenance is easy. That is because the insulation of the tent is improved.
Thus, it is another reason why you should think about waterproofing your tent.
5. To provide additional protection:
Over time, the seams might weaken. There might be a gap in the seams as well. In that case, normally, you have to discard the tent and buy a newer one.
On the other hand, when you cover it with a tarp or when you use the spray to deal with the open seams, it becomes easier for you to get some additional protection.
The additional protection will spare you the expense of buying a new tent. You can use the same tent again.
Thus, waterproofing provides additional protection to the tent.
6. To increase wind resistance:
The wind resistance can vary from one tent to another. When camping in the monsoons, wind resistance plays a very important role.
If the wind resistance is low, the tent might blow away or get damaged as well.
The tarp will increase the wind resistance of the tent.
It is another reason why you should waterproof your tent.
These are the reasons why you should waterproof a tent.
With the help of my guide above, doing so is certainly easy for you. The next time you go camping, it is good to waterproof the tent cheap and go on the camping trip.